The Toronto Lithographing Company (founded in 1878) was one of the largest firms in the city. When its plant at 13 Jordan was destroyed by fire, the company built a three-storey brick factory on the north-west corner of King and Bathurst. The company occupied this building from 1895 until 1900 when it moved into new headquarters at 461 King Street West (now home to a number of businesses including SPiN Toronto Social Club).
The interior of this building was documented by the photographer A.A. Gray in 1898. There are 14 photographs in the Toronto Archives showing employees setting type and working on lithographic stones, as well as in offices and at equipment such as large format graphic arts cameras, printing presses, and folding machines.